Friday, February 4, 2011

Dodging amended assignments

I thought I was losing it, but because I have printed out assignments, I can see that the content of some assignments changes, apparently without notification.  For example, we thought we were finished the desert plant project until we reread the instructions and found we needed to talk about plant adaptions so we worked on plant adaptions (a topic we knew very little about) and then as Zack was wrapping up the assignment, he reread the instructions and adaptions was gone...sigh.  He has now been working on a timeline for juvenile delinquency when I noticed that there is no requirement for a timeline in the instructions I downloaded a few weeks ago, but when he looked online, there is an additional sentence on a timeline added to the instructions, which does not appear in the previous version. 

I can't figure out is if there is some kind of system in place advising of updates to assignments.  Whenever the teacher posts a grade for an assignment, he receives notification in his email, but he is not receiving notification of amended assignments.  I suspect that assignments are amended following an inquiry from a student (perhaps a mom!).  Perhaps there is something else that I'm missing.  In any case, the student instructions do not give information on this, at least not that I've noticed.  The teacher has never given Zack any specific instruction and he never received the promised tour from a student so we operate on trial and error, our own combined strengths, and intuition. 

The attention to detail just isn't in the assignment posts nor the day-to-day administration.  They appear sometimes to be cut and pastes because there are different fonts and formats.  They do not appear to have been proofread.  Some assignments are very straightforward and Zack proceeds on his own, but sometimes he doesn't have a clue what he's supposed to be doing. 

Unpredictably amended assignments would not be a reason for us not to continue with Wilostar.  It is just an inconvenience for us.  But in the interests of promoting Education 2.0 and this intrepid virtual expression of Homeschooling 2.0, it raises for me questions about the mindsets and training of those at the front line of this virtual world.  I don't have a sense that an individual action (i.e., amending an assignment) is subject to any anaylsis (i.e., what is the effect of this action? when I change this, what happens?; is the effect different at various times or constant? how do my students know an assignment has changed?; in general, how do my students manage assignments? digitally? on paper? when do they tacle assignments? in advance? on the day of? what impact does not seeing an assignment amendment have on a student's ability to undertake the assignment? final mark?)  I am not sure that pioneers in this brave new world can afford to be on automatic pilot.

No comments:

Post a Comment